top of page
  • Writer's pictureSreejith Subrahmanian

The requirements to apply for a bridging open work permit have changed. What does this mean for you?

Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) is an option available to work permit holders who have applied for Canadian permanent residence. An individual was previously allowed to apply for a BOWP 4 months prior to the expiry of the work permit, provided that they had made an application for Canadian permanent residence. BOWP allows the holder to continue to work in Canada until a decision has been reached by the IRCC on their permanent residency application. If you have applied for permanent residency under any of the following programs, you may be eligible for a BOWP:

· Federal Skilled Worker Program

· Canadian Experience Class

· Federal Skilled Trades Program

· Caring for children class or caring for people with high medical needs class (before June 18, 2019)

· Provincial Nominee Program

· Agri-food Pilot

· Quebec Skilled Worker Class.

The new changes announced in September have removed the requirement to apply for BOWP only 4 months prior to the expiry of the existing work permit. Now, there is no longer a limit on when an application for BOWP can be made. A BOWP is generally issued for a period of 12 months except for Quebec skilled workers and PNP applicants, in which case it may be valid for 24 months or until the expiry of the passport, whichever is earlier.

9 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Staying in Canada after expiry of PGWP

An individual who has completed a study program in Canada may be eligible to apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). The duration of the PGWP is decided by IRCC based on the duration of the st

Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents

A parent and grandparent super visa is a 10 year visa that allows for multiple entries to Canada during its validity and allows one to stay in Canada continuously for a period of 2 years. There is no


bottom of page